Monday, March 22, 2010

Visitor

The doorbell just rang, twice in succession, followed by a hard knock.

"Who's being so insistent?" I wondered.

I rushed to the door, surprised not to see a figure through the glass. Cautiously, I cracked open the door and glanced around. You can imagine my response as this man stepped on my porch.

Well, his uniform was slightly different but you get the idea.
"Is everything okay?" he inquired.

Immediately I recalled the exchange about ten minutes prior between my kids and me when I heard a dial tone and a few beeps.

"Who has the phone? Put that phone down. Do not use the phone without Mommy." And I took the phone away and hung it up. No big deal. (Wrong again, Mom.)

I apologized kindly but the officer was quite put out by his drive to my suburb. His advice? Put the phone up higher.

4 comments:

Amy said...

I'm still laughing! Well, not about the whole 911 thing, but about the idea that anyone who shows up at the door would look like that!

shanon said...

"Put the phone up higher." I like that. Have you moved it yet?

I was afraid this was going to be a strip-o-gram story.

Andrea said...

Yeah, I moved it immediately way up on a bookshelf. He seemed perturbed.

Claire said...

That is funny! (since it didn't happen to me) At least your kids know how to dial 911.