Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Rain Train

I took the boys to Zilker Park to ride the train today. Right before we took off, I commented about what a beautiful day it was.

Within minutes, it was pouring rain. Cold, big rain. I was laughing hard and telling them, 'Isn't this fun, boys? Can you believe it? We're getting soaked!' They weren't on board with my positive attitude.

It got worse, so we all hunched down and I tried to cover them both up as well as I could.

Then I noticed the rain drops were really, really hard. I uncurled myself to look up, and there was 1/4" inch hail all over us! We were being hailed on. I literally could not believe it. Blake was crying 'Why did you do this to us? This is the worst train ride ever!' For a brief moment I think my laughter turned to tears. This train ride is about twenty minutes long, and we just had to tough it out. I still thought it was kind of funny, but the boys sure didn't.
Finally we got off, mascara streaming down my face, soaked through down to the pull up (or whatever).


Then Blake asked, 'Why did God make raindrops so big, and make it hurt so bad?' I still haven't told him it was actually hail.


I stripped the boys down to ride home, while they happily chanted 'Naked! Naked!' Nothing changes a guy's mood like getting naked. Blake asked why I wasn't naked too. My first thought was, 'If we get in an accident I don't want to be naked.' But I didn't want to freak them out further so I just said because I'm the mom.


Only in Texas (and maybe Oklahoma) would the skies be beautiful, unleash rain and hail, and be beautiful again within less than an hour.
Who wants to come with me next time we ride the train?

4 comments:

Amy said...

I love it that you're smiling and making the most of it! From the boys point of view I guess all's well that ends naked!

Julie T said...

That is hilarious. Such random weather yesterday. I went out to kite day at Hunter's school and there wasn't a cloud in the sky 5 minutes after that downpour.

Beth Hames said...

Oh my goodness I am laughing so hard. That was an absolute DOWNPOUR yesterday! Why did God have to make the raindrops hurt so bad? hahahaha!

shanon said...

What a great story! Thanks for sharing!