This weekend we went to 'Downtown Dallas' (Blake's words) for the annual OU/TX game. We spent the weekend in a double-room suite in Plano, the town of my birth, with our friends Jimmy, Holly and Sam Arter. Holly and I had big plans for a day of shopping, but they came to an abrupt end when we got to see Sam's antibiotic and breakfast reappear as we entered La Madeleine's. We shifted our paradigm (thank you Steven) and had a great day anyway, even if we were stuck in a hotel room for 12 hours! Sam and Blake are great playmates and I love watching them together. Blake kept leaning in to her, either to be as near to her as possible, or else to be passively agressive. Sam would put up with it for a bit, then start leaning back, and then just push her little hips into him and give him a good shove. His only response was usually to keep a straight face and start it all over. It was repeated frequently during the weekend and I think they both actually liked this game, even though the mom's kept telling them to quit.
All of us aren't sure what the future of this weekend looks like. It epitomizes the changes in life that come when you have kids. For years Holly and I would shop all over Dallas, in cute boutiques or fancy shops, while the guys went to the game, and we ate out at great restaurants and stayed up late talking by the pool. Over the last few years we've been adapting to the addition of kids. This year with Sam sick and us having two kids, we realized there's a new look to our annual weekend vacation. Shopping will include un-hooking the kids from precarious positions they fenangle while trying to occupy themselves in their strollers. Most meals are much easier eaten in the confines of our hotel rooms. We have to scour the city for a hotel with a two-room suite so we can all hang out in the living room together after the kids go to bed. I admit that a few times while we were there I wondered if it was worth it, but in the end, I am so glad we are sticking to this tradition. Even if it isn't as relaxing or productive (Christmas shopping!) as it used to be, we get to talk just as much and our kids become buddies, and that is definitely worth it!

Dane enjoyed sleeping in the big bed.
Blake got in touch with his feminine side...
4 comments:
I too remember the days when vacations used to be fun. I'm sure this era will be over all too soon and we'll long for the good old days when they were cute little babies, bla, bla, bla. :-)
Way to make lemonade out of lemons! It's nice to have traditions like that, even if they are a little harder to execute now than they were a few years ago.
It looks fun nonetheless. Treasure vacation whenever and however you can get it. And the more memorable the better!
Dane with the pink stroller looks just like the Longhorns did that day! :-)
Post a Comment