Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Chocolate

Because we're studying 'Nevermind the Joneses' in Care Group, I've been thinking about our family culture and the culture of the family in which I was raised. While there are many things I appreciate about my heritage, one thing keeps coming to mind today - Chocolate. Occasionally Mom would make biscuits with chocolate gravy for breakfast (so delish!). We had Ritz crackers with homemade chocolate frosting on the counter almost all the time (salty and sweet at its finest). One of mom's specialties was Cake and Goo (yellow cake, hot chocolate glaze poured over each serving - YumO)! We also did eat vegetables and meat, in case you're wondering. Thank you Mom for creating these yummy treats! I am still a fan.

I'm trying to focus more on things I want our family to be like, and take proactive steps to make that happen. Too often, I get very focused on the Immediate - chores or my never-ending to do list, and don't pursue the activities that would really benefit our family the most. I'd like to make one fun memory a day for the kids - that can mean being goofy with Blake for a few minutes, making chocolate gravy for breakfast, or taking a trip to the zoo, but I know it would enrich our lives and be worthwhile. (Then again, I'm not too sure if the Austin Zoo of rescued animals and loose snakes is all that enriching, but you get the idea.)

4 comments:

Beth Hames said...

Chocolate GRAVY!! That's brilliant! I need the recipe...

CM said...

I've had chocolate gravy before - SO GOOD! We were bummed to miss care group last week and the first in the series of lessons. Sounds like it gave you a lot to think about, and what a great idea of setting intentions for your family culture. I love it!

MLW said...

I don't recall the ritz & chocolate being on the counter growing up. That must have been a later development. The only time we got it was at Granny's. But Mom has said the same thing before. So, I guess she started making it more often after I left home. Thank goodness or I would REALLY be a fattie!

Kim said...

Thanks for the post. It was a good reminder. And I think I would love chocolate gravy. I'll have to make it sometime.