I'm having one of those afternoons. I feel like we're in a boxing match, and the boys are winning. At the moment I'm slumped in the corner on that little stool and my people are pouring water on me and trying to rev me up for Round 47. (Really I'm hiding in the bathroom to type this while they sneak off with my iphone, but it must feel kind of similar.)
Main problem: they ignore me. I hear its common for boys to tune out things they don't want to hear, like 'Pick up the toys' or 'Its time to go.' They aren't little hellions, but their disobedience in all of the little things is making me feel defeated and worn out. For the last few hours I've been thinking negatively, things like 'I can't do this, No one respects me, My parenting flaws have created this problem.' Those sound so awful when I type them, but they come quickly to my mind when I'm frustrated.
I know that thinking like that will only make me retreat, leave the ring, stay in this bathroom on the floor all day (or until I hear a crashing sound that forces me out). So a few minutes ago I started to change my thought pattern. I'm telling myself, "I can do everything through him who gives me strength." And "He gently leads those with young." Lead me... to the playground, to peace, on a long slow walk, anywhere that helps the three of us work well together!
Friday, February 18, 2011
Uncle! Uncle!
He tends his flock like a shepherd:
He gathers the lambs in his arms
and carries them close to his heart;
he gently leads those that have young.
Isaiah 40:11
at 4:10 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I hear you Andrea. Some days are so tough. And how can you not take this parenting stuff personally? I'm glad you found scripture to meditate on to give you strength. I've been struggling with arguing with my three year old son. And lecturing. And in general having a annoyed tone with him. The fruits of the spirit have been where my thoughts go. I'm thinking of making a poster or art project with him so that we can look at and focus on when we're butting heads.
You're a great mom! You can do it!!
I find myself saying, "Tomorrow's a new day" a lot lately. Like when I plop them in front of the tv with some pre-packaged sugar-filled crap to eat.
We've all been there and will be again. Thank goodness for tomorrow.
You are a great mom! And we all have those days. Its nice to know we are not alone. I often think about this story where a woman woke up in the morning and just prayed,
" Lord, I can't do this without you, I can't make it through the day. I need you to get me out of this bed" And, he does. He takes us by the hand and helps us get up and get through.
And, it helps that there are only so many hours in a day and then we get a new start the next day! Love you!
I hear you..two boys...screaming...fighting and just not listening. I'm proud of you for finding solace in the Bible. I went to craigslist to look for a job. ;) I should take your lead. You're a patient, kind and creative mom. I always looked up to you for that.
Post a Comment