Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Orchestra

Blake's current favorite CD: Beethoven's Last Night by the Trans- Siberian Orchestra.

It sounds as dark as it looks. If he fully understood the lyrics he'd be scared at night. But the good news is he likes it because of Beethoven's powerful music. He goes around humming sonatas and symphonies. Now and then he'll ask for a certain symphony, so I'll hum a few bars to see if I'm thinking of the right one, and he's like, "No mom, that's Mozart." Totally deadpan and uncomprehending of how I don't know this stuff by heart already.

Last night he made 'an orchestra' with our bristle blocks. He also made a tank, so he's not gone totally soft on me.It was too hard to make all the musicians, so he just made the conductor and the guy in the audience. (We'll forgive him for facing the conductor the wrong direction.)


But he did make a guy playing the banjo. (This one's for you, Mom!) Have you ever seen a kid so excited to hold a Bristle Block Banjo Player? I didn't think so.
Here's to you, Beethoven!

0 comments: