Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Ball Gown

Recently I came across this blog by Dr. Karen Woo, an English aid worker doing medical work in Afghanistan. Tragically, she was killed in an ambush earlier this month. Her blog's last entry was posted on July 20th, and it is haunting to read her words. I'm fascinated that she was having a ballgown made in this Afghan town. At the same time, she was preparing for how difficult it would be in a few weeks to lug all their medical supplies by foot over a snow-covered mountain pass. Clearly she was dedicated and compassionate in ways I can't fathom, yet she was also a woman just like me who loves a beautiful dress and a bargain.

When I read her blog, I'm reminded to live my life fully. To have the dress made, and learn from the process, and enjoy wearing the fine fabric. I'm reminded to slow down and look my kids in the eye when they talk to me. I'm reminded to call my friends or family members even if I only have three minutes to talk, to go outside and absorb a moment of quiet in the morning, and to thank our Creator for another beautiful day on His earth.