Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Garage Sale Blues

I'm having a garage sale this weekend. The impetus: Brent and I have decided we're stopping at two kids. I use the word decided loosely. Sometimes I like the idea of another child and a fifth family member, but I have a lot of concerns about that idea. As I am going through all this stuff, I start thinking maybe I should keep it. I mean if we change our minds, or accidently have a third kid, I'm going to be really ticked that I got rid of all my baby stuff. But then I think, what are you thinking? You can barely handle the two you've got! Sell the stuff, quick! My head tells me to stick with two kids, and hold Harper, Maddy and Francie a lot. Are other people this conflicted about getting rid of baby stuff?
So I'd love to hear advice about what you think we should do, or whether you struggle with being unsure how big you want your family to be.

7 comments:

Summer said...

Keep the crib. It's a bad omen to et rid of it. Everyone I know that got rid of had a surprise like 5 years later. There is no way I want more kids, and I even had my tube tied, but that crib is still up in the attic. I'm scared to death for it to leave the house. I've seem what happens....

Shannon said...

Oh, gosh. I had a 3rd boy.. oops. He is the best oops, even if his older bros are 11 and 14 years older then he! I know, I have totally lost it. He is almost 4 now. I am going to have 2 in high school and one in pre-k next year. So if you want a 3rd...don't wait.
Good luck on the garage sale.

Julie T said...

I would get rid of it and not look back. I kind of felt the same way when I let go of mine, but since doing it I haven't thought about it or regretted it once. Plus, you can always borrow from someone in case of that "oops"! (-:

Claire said...

Oh wow! That is big! I don't know how you can decide. We never decided to have Kate, but she's here anyway. We set a goal to decide if we're having any more by the end of the year, but I don't know how you decide. Of course you feel like you can't handle any more kids, but then you have another one, and somehow you handle it. I don't know. Obviously, you shouldn't look to me for advice. I would be very interested in knowing how you arrived at the decision.

Murrie said...

We went through the same thing when we moved. All baby related items gone...it was refreshing. We do still have the crib but that is because Davis is still in it. It is a big decision to say you are done...but look at your family and think this is my life and family unit...beautiful.

Ashley said...

As you know, we've really struggled with the idea of a third, or maybe just I have. Still, I haven't gotten rid of anything because of the oops factor. Then again, I might wait so long, no one will want to buy my outdated stuff even in a garage sale. Will you be able to afford to buy it all again? Sure. Can you borrow from those of us who are scared to get rid of it all. Absolutely, as long as you're willing to use outdated stuff that doesn't meet the safety standards in the next few years. Good luck!

Jessica said...

Uhhhh....hmm..don't ask me;) I wonder what it is like NOT to have a couple of cribs in the house? I sure do want to see what a gorgeous little girl you would have though(if only you had control of that)...I can say that we didn't know if we wanted two or three but we absolutely know that 3 is the limit and that is a good feeling.