So ironically I had a phone conversation earlier today about discipline, and then Blake managed to do a number of things in a row requiring effective, swift, appropriate discipline. Unfortunately I feel a little underprepared. He's now shut in his room for 10 minutes (a new thing I thought I'd try) and he's been yelling, "Mommy! Mommy! Mommy! Anderwa! Anderwa!" Which I have to say cracks me up in spite of being really frustrated with the situation!
So point is, anyone recommend any great books on discipline?
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Discipline
at 2:38 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
It really cracks me up that he's yelling "Anderwa!" If I didn't know your name, I might think he's yelling for some underwear.
So, about 8 months ago, we had a serious time of discipline with Claire. It was a rough few months around here. I read James Dobson's books, especially "Dare to Discipline". I thought that one really helped me. It just gave me some confidence that what I was doing was the right thing. I don't think we've ever even discussed the discipline issue, so I don't know where you stand on it. This book may be too hard core for you if you're anti-spanking, etc. But I have to say, it really worked for Claire. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck!
OK, now that I just read through that I do remember discussing things like this with you. I do recommend the book. I also recommend "Grace Based Parenting". It gives you a wonderful perspective on parenting, although its not so much of a discipline book. -Amber
That was a fast post! As you know, I am starting Love and Logic Magic for the Early Childhood Years. It seems to be very practical and teaches the kids to be responsible for their behavior and help the parent stay calm. I also like some of what the SuperNanny has to say. I'll be looking back to see if you get any other ideas,as I am in need of help too.
I was just about to recommend the Love and Logic books, but Kim beat me to it. I've said, "I'll just put your clothes in a bag and take them with us" in response to a child refusing to get dressed just this week. Works every time!
Now I need to re-read their material to review some more of their good ideas.
Blake doesn't strike me as strong-willed, but I really liked the book "Setting Limits with Your Strong-Willed Child." I like the way the author describes many different types of situations, and I was able to see myself described to a T (in a bad way) which helped me to figure out better ways of doing things. Obviously you've been around Jackson and me enough to know that we haven't gotten all the kinks worked out yet. :-) Mat really likes Grace Based Parenting but I haven't read it...
Hey Andrea. Just wanted to let you know our new address. www.harmonioushouse.blogspot.com Hope you're doing well!
Woah! Blake is playing guitar! He’s holding it perfectly…and he’s a southpaw! Very impressive. I can’t wait for the hit song…”Anderwa.”
-Ben Bailey
Post a Comment