Sunday, March 20, 2011

To Treasure

When I was in Oklahoma last week in honor of my Grandmother, I treasured the time I got to spend with people I love.

Like our cousins Rhonda and Shanon


and older cousins who were new to me but special to my Grandmother.


I came away thinking a lot about our decision to live in Austin where unfortunately we are far from our families, about the communion with our close friends who become like family, and about the mighty bonds that families share despite time and distance.

To complement the heavy thinking, we ate some fried pies. Maybe more than once. I didn't know you could have a whole store that only sells fried pies. I guess its like donuts but healthier because you get some fruit fried up inside.

Our spouses couldn't come, so our weekend together was the first time that my brothers, parents and I were alone together in -- I cannot believe this -- 23 years! We had a great time slipping into old routines of my brothers cracking us all up, me trying occasionally to control everyone, and mom and dad just enjoying the entertainment. Some things truly never change.

But one thing does change: Mike's smile. His 11 year old daughter has told him his big happy smile in pictures is dorky. So he recently developed this pose which I call the sexy half-smile. I quickly expressed my disapproval. Its just not his personality to smile with such a lack of conviction. (Mike is the brother on the left. Mark is on the right and his smile is just fine because its normal for him to look this suave.)

Mike countered my complaints with this gargantuan grin. I don't know, which do you think is worse?
As happens when families gather, we had to eat a lot.
Of barbeque
and catfish

and ice cream.
Some moments we solemnly remembered my Grandmother and at other moments we joyfully laughed together. That is the circle of life. I can only hope and pray that when I've lived about a hundred years, my son and his daughter will get together one weekend and take a picture like this.

2 comments:

Beth Hames said...

You just HAD to make me cry there at the end. Glad you had a good time despite the circumstances.

Jessica said...

I know I say this about EVERY one of your posts...But that is PRECIOUS!