I've been fascinated with the Chilean miners. Their tenacity amazes me. Watching the rescue of Avalos, the first one out, just brought me to tears. I can't believe they were waiting for 17 days, making smart choices to ration food, stay active and invest in work before anyone even contacted them. Two days would have felt like an eternity to me. I'm amazed how they've worked together for these 69 days, how tiny that capsule is, how young some of these men are, and how incredibly thorough Chilean authorities seem to be.
Two interesting facts: They've been operating that mine since 1885! I'm surprised there is anything left to mine. Secondly, a wife and a lover have come forward to claim and support the same man. I imagine there was quite the cat fight above ground about that, from two very emotional women. There's probably a great mircocosm of our big world within this small group of miners. More importantly, I'm glad to be a part of a rare opportunity for people from all over the world to unite over a story full of hope. Like so many, I'm praying tonight for a swift and successful rescue mission!


0 comments:
Post a Comment