Monday, October 11, 2010

Root Swing & Rock Shelter

Blake has had two days off for a long weekend, and I loved getting a break from our school routine! It became apparent early this morning that I would need to make a plan of action or else the boys would tear each other apart. So, we ended up 'hiking' at McKinney Falls State Park. I can't believe this park is so close and I hadn't been there yet! It was a great way to spend a day.



I spent some time examining this structure and they seem to be roots that have grown up in the air, and they really swing.
Blake, being a genius, is pointing out that if he got lost, he could just hold up that stick, and I could find him.


Cave-dwelling peoples lived in this rock shelter from 500 to 1700 A.D. So of course, the boys pretended to be Indians and we dwelled there for awhile too.
I suggested Blake's Indian name should be 'Deep Thinker' I asked him what he thought we should name Dane, and he suggested 'Dink Winker.' I was thinking something more like 'Risky Climber' or 'Clumsy Walker,' but those make way too much sense. Anyway Dink Winker's job was to protect the Indian women in the cave, a job which he took very seriously. He bravely chewed out a teenager who came walking through our cave.
I hope these two remember times like this!

4 comments:

Kim P. said...

It's a great place! We haven't been there in awhile but maybe we'll go this weekend while Joe's on vacation. Glad you had so much fun!

Claire said...

I literally laughed out loud at Dink Winker. That is hilarious!

What a fun day. I love doing things out of the ordinary for a day. I bet they will remember it for a long, long time. Or at least Deep Thinker will.

Amy said...

I am still laughing! What sweeties!

shanon said...

"Dink Winker." Priceless. That's all I can think to say :-)