Monday, March 2, 2009

Ages and Stages

I purchased a piece of furniture that looks a lot like this (for way, way, way less) several months ago, and have been messing around with how to decorate it ever since. It has this potentially great row of boards underneath like a floor that I know I could put baskets on and fill with something, once Dane quits crawling through it like a tunnel. So you can imagine my hopeful anticipation when I noticed this similar one in a Pottery Barn email today. Decorating ideas! An enlarged view revealed two giant baskets filled to overflowing with earthenware pots...a tabletop full of glass jars and vases, casually displaying lovely greenery gathered from the yard... Could this be less practical for a family? In my house that would become baskets full of shards of clay, kids pushing each other in said baskets while they throw pots across the house, and cheap glass vases filled with cedar branches, live oak leaves, and those giant needle clumps.
I'm now taking suggestions if you have any ideas!

7 comments:

Beth Hames said...

Hah that's funny. The drawers are probably full of knives and scissors. This house obviously isn't for real people. BTW, I have that rug at my office in blue.

Murrie said...

We had a coffee table with openings like that in CA. Dog and child alike loved it.

CM said...

I love that table! And the baskets look fantastic - you could put baskets with lids and store anything in them, but they would still look pretty just like the picture!

Ashley said...

Amen, sister! These people are clearly hoping you'll purchase all of this without thinking it through. Good luck!

Amy said...

Maybe they have a similar version in the PB Kids edition! I'm sure yours will be just as beautiful AND kid friendly!

Claire said...

I'm out on this one. You have way more decorating sense than I do! I'm sure whatever you do will look great. Then I'll come visit and copy you (we just got our Ikea shelves up a few weeks ago).

MLW said...

The baskets underneath would be a good place for blankets to cozy up with while watching the Redskins on TV. I'm sure you'll make it look amazing.