Today after we went to the gym, I got to thinking about Home Slice Pizza. I couldn't get it out of my mind, partly because of the huge, steamy slices of pepperoni pizza and partly because I was in the mood for an adventure. I thought Brent might be able to meet us but he was really busy (much to his dismay) so the kids and I went by ourselves. I opted against the 30 minute wait, ordered slices at the window, then opted against sitting at bar-height outdoor tables with two kids and no car seat/stroller/highchair. Thus we plopped down on the sidewalk amidst a little trash and lots of other people's shoes. We had such a great time! Lots of people were smiling at us, although a bit quizically, probably because even in Austin people don't often sit on the sidewalk outside a pizza joint to eat. (At least we were eating off of plates, not just the cement!) Blake loved the picnic, I loved the laid-back atmosphere and sunny weather, and Dane liked all the funky uniqueness of South Congress, so he said.
Those few moments portrayed how wonderful this time in my life is (a truth I need to embrace more frequently!). I felt as happy sitting there on the ground as I have been in a long time. I was so glad to be outside in great weather, to be in charge of my own schedule, to have the kids interacting happily with each other, to not have to work inside all day anymore, to live in such a quirky, laid-back city, and to be eating good ole New York style pizza!
Monday, February 18, 2008
Sunny Days
at 2:59 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Down with the kids, life has a whole new perspective...thanks for your positive and thankful reminder that life's blessings are oh so simple!
I got a great mental picture of your sidewalk picnic. That sounds fun. My favorite Homeslice is the #6...sausage, ricotta, and roasted red peppers. Yum!
Where have I been? I've never even heard of Homeslice. But I'll have to go, and thanks to your story, maybe I'll be coragious enough to go with just Taylor. It sounds like the perfect way to have lunch, especially after working so hard at the gym this morning!!
How fun! Your boys are lucky to have such a fun mom who does fun, impulsive things!
I LOVE Homeslice...probably my favorite pizza place in all of Austin. We don't go very often though since it's nowhere near where we live, but I love that place. Way to embrace the moment =)
How can anyone not be happy while eating HomeSlice? :)
Good points in the last paragraph.
Mmmmm ... Home Slice. My mouth is watering.
That sounds like fun! Is that where we all went to eat and ended up sitting in the grass? Or was that barbecue?
I have to say, it seems rather unfair that you are posting about picnics when the high here today was 29.
I'm glad you were able to do something fun with your boys!
Sounds like a blast! Now I'm in the mood for pizza!
BTW - what's up with all the Russian books on your list? :-)
Post a Comment